You may say to yourself, "My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me." But remember the Lord your God, for it is He who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms His covenant, which He swore to your forefathers, as it is today. If you ever forget the Lord your God and follow other gods and worship and bow down to them, I testify against you today that you will surely be destroyed.
Deuteronomy 8:17-19

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Slanted- Living with Secret Sin

 Slanted is a free 6 inch crochet square pattern and devotional.
Yarn: Caron Simply Soft
Hook: I (use smaller hook for thicker yarn, Carmen and Bekah had to use sizes G and H)
Abbreviations:
beg- beginning
ch-chain
dc-double crochet
hk-hook
lp or lps-loop or loops
sc-single crochet
sl st- slip stitch
sp or sps- space or spaces
st or sts- stitch or stitches
yo- yarn over


Special stitches:

Slant Stitch- skip next st, dc in the next 3 sts, yo and put hook in skipped st , yo and pull loop across the three dcs to the proper height, yo and pull through all three loops. For corners: the last dc of the 3 will be put in the corner ch-2 sp, then complete slant st as regular, ch 2, start next slant st using 1st st left of ch -2 sp, and use the ch-2 sp as your skipped st to complete the slant st.

X stitch- skip next 3 sts, tr in 4th st, ch 3, tr behind the existing tr into the first skipped st of the three sts you skipped.

Cross sc- sk one st, sc in next, sc in skipped st, sc in st to left of beg sc, sc in st with beg sc (causing two sts in each-one step forward, one step back philosophy) For corners: complete last cross st by using the ch-2 sp as a stitch, ch 2, sc in first st after the ch-2 sp, then sc back in the ch-2 sp to complete the cross st. 
Begin :)
With Color A Ch 4,

Rnd 1- In loop (sc, hdc, dc, hdc) 3 times, sl st to beg sc. (4 sc, 8 hdc, 4 dc) 

Rnd 2- Sc in first 2 sts, (sc, ch 2, sc) in corner dc, *sc in first 3 sts, (sc, ch 2, sc) in corner dc * Repeat from * to * two more times, sc in first st, sl st to beg sc. Fasten off color A. (20 sc, 4 ch-2 sps)

Rnd 3- Using Color B, sl st into any stitch to the left of a corner, ch 1, sc in same st, and then sc into the corner behind the st you just made –beg cross sc. *Continue the Cross sc across the side -see special sts (6 cross sts/side)-using corner ch-2 sp for last cross st, ch 2, then put your first sc into the st to the left of the corner and then the second sc in the corner ch-2 sp-to complete 1st cross st after corner, repeat from * around, ch 2, sl st to beg sc. Fasten off Color B. (48 sc=24 cross sts, 4 ch-2 sps)

Rnd 4- Join color A with a sc in any corner,* sk 1st st, sc in next 3 sts, sk 1 st, sc in next 2 sts, sk 1 st, sc in next 3 sts, sk 1 st**, (sc, ch 2, sc) in corner ch-2 sp*, Repeat from * to *ending at ** on last rep, (sc, ch 2) in corner ch-2 sp, sl st to beg sc. Fasten of Color A. (40 sc, 4 ch-2 sps)

Rnd 5- Attach color B with a sl st in any st left of any corner ch-2 sp, ch 3 (counts as dc), dc in next 2 sts, yo and insert hook into stitch before beg ch-3, yo,  pull up to last dc height, yo and pull through all three loops-beg slant st made. Slant stitch (see special sts-3 slant stitches/side) all the way around using the corners on each side- and ch 2 between corner sts, end with ch 2, sl st to top of beg ch-3. Fasten off Color B. (12 slant sts, 4 ch-2 sps)

Rnd 6- Attach Color A with a sl st in any corner, ch 3,* make 3 X stitches per side**, (dc, ch 5, dc) in corners, * Repeat * to * 3 more times, ending at ** on final rep,(dc,  ch 5) in corner ch-2 sp, sl st to top of beg ch-3. Fasten off color A. (12 X- sts, 8 dc, 4 ch-5 sps)

Rnd 7- Attach Color B in any ch-3 sp making 4 sc in each ch-3 sp and 7 sc in each corner ch-5 sp around, ending with sl st to beg sc. (76 sc) (Optional changes to rnd 7, if your square is nearing 6”- *3 sc in ch-3 sp, make a Cross st over the 2 tr, repeat from * to corner, 7 sc in corner, continue this around, join with sl st.)

Rnd 8- Sc in each st around with 3 sc in each corner st, sl st to beg sc. (84 sc) Fasten off and weave in ends. J

A great big thank you to Carmen Carpenter and Bekah Doughty, who have edited and tested this pattern ♥♥



© Copyright June 2012 by Cynthia Boylan, all rights reserved. This pattern, in whole or part, may not be reproduced – mechanically, electronically, or by any other means, including photocopying -- without the written permission of Cynthia Boylan. Projects made from this pattern may be gifted, swapped or sold. If you use this pattern to sell items on the internet, kindly credit Cynthia Boylan as the designer.


Slant Stitch- Living with our Secret Sin

How many of us have that secret sin that we cling on to- not wanting anyone to know about- sinning when we need a fix.  We are not really living upright lives- maybe outwardly we look it- but inside we struggle with a private battle- causing our upright walk to be somewhat slanted. Maybe it is lust, or our tongues, our anger, or our addictions.  Something that maybe we have tried to give up- but it seems we just can’t quit.  My sister in law calls this our “go to sin”.  For the most part, we are ashamed of it, and don’t want anyone to know about it- so we keep it in the basement, not knowing that it will continue to grow- it doesn’t need sunlight to grow.  Our secret sin becomes a monster and can take over our lives, making us do things that we don’t want. 

The Ripple Effect

When I was very young, someone that loved me, hurt me because of the sin monster- it was not a reflection of how that person felt about me, but because the sin was allowed to grow and salvation was not in sight.  It became much easier for me to forgive as I became older, because I understood that it was not how “strong” or “weak” the person was- sin is sin, and not dealt with; it will grow.

Sin doesn’t just affect the sinner- it ripples out like a stone thrown into a pond.  It touches our loved ones, future generations, and those watching you that don’t know the Lord yet. One example of the ripple effect is divorce.  Divorce touches not only the couples’ lives, but all of their loved ones and harms the children involved. Because of divorce, the children may have a more pessimistic attitude toward marriage and God’s goodness or feel that they were the cause. Because of Christian divorce, non-Christian onlookers may label Christians as hypocrites and build up a wall to anything that smites of God.

Even a secret sin has a ripple effect.  Jealousy, greed, envy, lust, and bitterness cause us to respond to others in different ways than if we were full of love and kindness; causing weaknesses in relationships to those around us. We may never know the intimacy that we should with our spouses or loved ones because we clutch on to this sin. Secret sin may grow into something that physically harms our children or loved ones. Sin also puts a distance between us and God. Isaiah 59:1-2 “Surely the arm of the Lord is not too short to save, nor His ear too dull to hear.  But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden His face from you, so that He will not hear.”

We don’t want to- but we do anyway! Romans 7:15-25, and 8:1-2 “15 I don’t understand myself at all, for I really want to do what is right, but I don’t do it. Instead, I do the very thing I hate. 16 I know perfectly well that what I am doing is wrong, and my bad conscience shows that I agree that the law is good. 17 But I can’t help myself, because it is sin inside me that makes me do these evil things. 18 I know I am rotten through and through so far as my old sinful nature is concerned. No matter which way I turn, I can’t make myself do right. I want to, but I can’t. 19 When I want to do good, I don’t. And when I try not to do wrong, I do it anyway. 20 But if I am doing what I don’t want to do, I am not really the one doing it; the sin within me is doing it. 21 It seems to be a fact of life that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. 22 I love God’s law with all my heart. 23 But there is another law at work within me that is at war with my mind. This law wins the fight and makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. 24 Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin? 25 Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God’s law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin. 8 So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. 2 For the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you through Christ Jesus from the power of sin that leads to death.” (New Living Translation)

Getting Rid of Secret Sin

First, there are some things that may seem in the grey area.  If this is the case- pray and ask the Lord to convict you if this is a sin- if it is a grey behavior that you seem to be a slave to or that your life revolves around, chances are high that it is sin.

Stop justifying your sin.  In most sin, we justify our actions- someone may justify lust because their spouse isn’t open to their affections, or justify un-forgiveness because of their own pain. Jesus died on the cross for our sin- all of it- your spouses’ and the person that wronged you- He did not give you a pass to sin because you feel a need to. 

Don’t live by feelings. Our feelings are deceptive- they may tell us to do one thing- when you know that the Holy Spirit is telling you another.  Isaiah 30:21 “Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." Listen to the Holy Spirit- it was given to you for a reason. Discern what is of the Lord and what is of the world.

Tell an accountability partner that you know will be faithful in praying for you and keeping you accountable.  I know that may be difficult- it is a secret for a reason- we are ashamed of it.   Galatians 6:2 “Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.”

Stay away from any temptation by changing your environment- if that means changing jobs, pray that the Lord would open a new door for you.  1 Corinthians 10:13 “ No temptation has seized you except what is common to man.  And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.  But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.” This may mean putting a block on the tv or the computer or spending less time with certain people that influence you in wrong areas. Matthew 5:29 “If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away.  It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into @#!*% .  And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away.  It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into @#!*% .” Philippians 4:8 “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy- think about such things.”

Get counseling- if it is something that is already harming your family, or if the Lord is showing you that you need to speak to a counselor.

Remember that the Lord knows everything about us- even the number of hairs on our head.  Do we actually think that He doesn’t know our secret sin?  Psalm 69:5 “You know my folly, O God; my guilt is not hidden from You.”  

Repent and offer your life to Him. Romans 6:11-14 “In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus.  Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires.  Do not offer the parts of your body to sin, as instruments of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God, as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer the parts of your body to Him as instruments of righteousness.  For sin shall not be your master because you are not under law, but under grace.”

Watch and pray. Do not let your guard down! Matthew 26: 41 “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak."

Suit up! Know that this is a spiritual battle. Ephesians 6:10-18 “Finally, be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power.  Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s scheme.  For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.  Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.  Stand firm then, with the belt of truth bucked around your waits, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.  In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.  Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.  And pray the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayer and requests.  With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.

 Take every thought captive! 2 Corinthians 10:3-5 “For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does.  The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world.  On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds.  We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.”

Memorization- if we hide anything- it should be His word in our hearts to use as assurance that we have been saved and forgiven and to use in this spiritual battle. We will feel temptation and feel worthless again and again- but cling to His word and know that He has given you the victory.  You may want to seek out specific verses that pertain to your sin so that you can recite them when tempted and to memorize scriptures of your salvation and forgiveness assurance so that you can kick that lying enemy to the curb.

Assurances of forgiveness of sin-

 Psalm 103:12 “As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us.”

1 John 1:9 “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.”

Ephesians 1:7 “In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace.”

Psalm 130:4 “But with You there is forgiveness; therefore You are feared.”

Isaiah 43:25 “I, even I, am He who blots out your transgressions, for My own sake, and remembers your sins no more.”

Micah 7:19 “You will again have compassion on us; You will tread our sins underfoot and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea.”

I really pray that this has helped you.  I know that searching out these scriptures and seeking the Lord has been an immense blessing to me.  I pray that one day soon we can all recite this Psalm in clear conscience. Psalm 101 “I will sing of Your love and justice; to You, O Lord, I will sing Praise.  I will be careful to lead a blameless life- when will You come to me? I will walk in my house with blameless heart.  I will set before my eyes no vile thing.  The deeds of faithless men I hate; they will not cling to me.  Men of perverse heart shall be far from me; I will have nothing to do with evil.  Whoever slanders his neighbor in secret, him will I put to silence; whoever has haughty eyes and a proud heart, him will I not endure.  My eyes will be on the faithful in the land, that they may dwell with Me; he whose walk is blameless will minister to Me. No one who practices deceit will dwell in My house; no one who speaks falsely will stand in My presence.  Every morning I will put to silence all the wicked in the land; I will cut off every evildoer from the city of the Lord.”


Here is the link to download the pdf from Ravelry.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! God has led me to your site for sure. What inspiration you have given! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed the site :) Thank you for the encouragement. Have a wonderful day- and always remember how much that God loves you :)

      Delete
  2. good morning. and it is a good morning. today i had decided to spend the day doing for myself only. not my usual day. thought i would read a few of the more than 3000 emails i have waiting for me. as a fellow crafter i was drawn to one in particular about crocheting. love to crochet and collect new patterns. found your intersection square and knew i had been guided to find it! i have a friend who is at a crossroad in her life right now and i kept feeling i needed to give her something besides support, understanding, a listening ear, a shoulder or a hug.this square is perfect as a tangible reminder and the devotional says it all. thank you and the lord for guiding me to this today. such a blessing!!

    ReplyDelete