You may say to yourself, "My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me." But remember the Lord your God, for it is He who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms His covenant, which He swore to your forefathers, as it is today. If you ever forget the Lord your God and follow other gods and worship and bow down to them, I testify against you today that you will surely be destroyed.
Deuteronomy 8:17-19

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Strong Tower- A Daddy's Love and Strength


Strong Tower is a free 6 inch crochet square pattern and devotional.
Yarn: Caron Simply Soft
Hook: I (use smaller hook for thicker yarn)
Abbreviations:
beg- beginning
ch-chain
dc-double crochet
hk-hook
lp or lps-loop or loops
sc-single crochet
sl st- slip stitch
sp or sps- space or spaces
st or sts- stitch or stitches
yo- yarn over

Special stitches:
Puff St- Yo, insert hk in st, yo, pull loop through and bring up even with st, (yo, insert hk in same st, yo, pull loop through) three times (9 loops on hook), yo and draw through all loops on hook, ch 1 to close.
Note: When working the round after the puffs, work into the st on top of the puff and skip the other st.
Cornerstone Puff st- Make as above puff st, but continue yo and pulling through until you have a total of 15 loops on your hook before you yo and pull through all.

Please keep careful watch of stitch counts on this square.
Begin

Ch 4 and sl st to make beginning ring.

Rnd 1- Ch 1, (3 sc, ch 2) 4 times in the ring, sl st to beg sc. (12 sc, 4 ch-2 sps)

Rnd 2- *Puff in same st, sc in next st, puff in next st, (sc, ch 2, sc) in corner* Repeat from * to * 3 times and sl st to top of beg puff. (8 puffs, 12 sc, 4 ch-2 sps)

Rnd 3- Ch 2, *Hdc in next 3 sts, (using only one st per puff-ch-1), (hdc, ch 2, hdc) in corner, hdc in next 2 sts* Repeat from * to * 3 more times, sl st to top of beg ch 2. (28 hdc, 4 ch-2 sps)

Rnd 4- *Puff in next st, (sc in next st, puff in next st) 2 times, (hdc, ch 2, hdc) in corner, puff in first st, sc in next st,* Repeat from * to * 3 more times, sl st to beg puff. (16 puffs, 12 sc, 8 hdc, and 4 ch-2 sp)

Rnd 5- Ch 2, *hdc in each st across with (dc, ch 2, dc) in corner* Repeat from * to * 3 more times, hdc in next 2 sts, sl st to top of beg ch 2. (36 hdc, 8 dc, 4 ch-2 sps)

Rnd 6- Ch1, sc in same st *(puff in next st, sc in next st) 4 times, puff in next st, (dc, ch 1, cornerstone puff (see special sts), ch 1, dc) in corner, (puff in next st, sc in next st) 2 times* Repeat from * to * 3 more times, sl st to top of beg sc. (24 puff sts, 4 cornerstone puff sts, 8 ch-1 sps, 8 dc, 20 sc)

Rnd 7- Ch 2, *hdc in each st across with (dc, ch 2, dc) in corner,* Repeat from * to * 3 more times, sl st to top of beg ch 2. (60 hdc, 8 dc, 4 ch-2 sp)

Now turn the square over and see the puffs and cornerstones that make up the Strong Tower J

To make the tri- colored one, use color A for Rnd 1-2, color B for Rnd 3-4, and color C for rnd 5-7.

Thank you Bekah Doughty and Carmen Carpenter for testing, editing- and praying for me.  The Lord blessed me when He put you two in my life ♥

© Copyright May 2012 by Cynthia Boylan, all rights reserved. This pattern, in whole or part, may not be reproduced – mechanically, electronically, or by any other means, including photocopying -- without the written permission of Cynthia Boylan. Projects made from this pattern may be gifted, swapped or sold. If you use this pattern to sell items on the internet, kindly credit Cynthia Boylan as the designer.


Strong Tower- A Daddy’s Strength and Love

Proverbs 18:10 “The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.”

When I was younger- I always thought that my daddy was the strongest in the world!  He always was so tall and took care of even the hardest chores around the house and farm and loved me something fierce.  And whenever someone was picking on me or something was bothering me, I wanted to run to my daddy’s arms, because I knew that he would save me from my troubles.  I was daddy’s girl and everything was going to be all right. It wasn’t until I was older that I realized that he probably wasn’t the strongest or the tallest (I think he is 5’6”), although I still think of him as pretty special J

Even though my thoughts about my earthly dad were changed, my thoughts on my heavenly Dad are still that I know that He is the strongest and tallest in the world! He is so strong that He is often referred to as a “strong tower” or a “fortress”- and we know that a “fortress” cannot be compromised.  Psalm 61:3 “For You have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe.”  

His name is powerful. Even calling out to Him, He will save us. Psalm 18:1-3 “I love You, O Lord, my strength.  The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge.  He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.  I call to the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies.”  In the prayer before Jesus was arrested He says, John 17:11 “I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to You.  Holy Father, protect them by the power of Your name- the name You gave Me- so that they may be one as We are one.” And Jesus’ name has the same power as the Father’s. John 14:13-14 “And I will do whatever you ask in My name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father.  You may ask Me for anything in My name, and I will do it.”

Our Father is love. Yes, our earthly fathers love us- most are somewhat of a model of our Heavenly Father.  Our Father loved us enough to give us His very best- His Son so that we would have a way to be with Him.  When we love our earthly fathers, they demand respect- yes we can hug their necks, but we obey them and have a little healthy fear. In the same respect, we can come to the Lord and love Him, but also obey Him. John 14:23-24 “Jesus replied, ‘If anyone loves Me, he will obey My teaching.  My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.  He who does not love Me will not obey My teaching.  These words you hear are not My own; they belong to the Father who sent Me.” Proverbs 14:26 “He who fears the Lord has a secure fortress, and for his children it will be a refuge.”

And lastly there is trust- we need to trust the Lord to take care of us.  We as people have been hurt by the world- but we know that the Lord will never hurt us, He only has our best interests in mind.  We need to trust the Lord and His ways.  Proverbs 29:25 “Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe.” Psalm 62:5-8 “Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him.  He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will not be shaken.  My salvation and my honor depend on God; He is my mighty rock, my refuge.  Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to Him, for God is our refuge.”

1 Peter 2:4-6 “As you come to Him, the living Stone- rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to Him- you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.  For in Scripture it says: ‘See, I lay a Stone in Zion, a chosen and precious Cornerstone, and the one who trusts in Him will never be put to shame.’”

So be a Daddy’s girl- run to Him.  He is ready to save you.

Psalm 62:11-12 “One thing God has spoken, two things have I heard; that You, O God , are strong, and that You, O Lord, are loving...”







All scripture is from the NIV Bible


Here is the link to download the pdf version from Ravelry.

2 comments:

  1. I really like your patterns. Is there any way I can save the free one's to my iPad? They would need to have the PDF link to save them. Thank you. -Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wish is my command :) I inserted a link at the bottom of most posts to route you to the page on Ravelry where you can download the pdf. So glad that you like them :)

    ReplyDelete